Follow on Bloglovin

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Hidden Treasures

What's it Wednesday #182


*My sincerest apologies for being late this week. Back to school has me back to crazy :-)

Can you find the "hidden treasures" in the picture?


Here let me help you! A few years ago my Mom gave me a pouch full and told me to keep it safe. So I did. 

Upon a recent visit from her, I decided to take out the pouch and we went through it together. Some of the items I had seen since I was a child like this World War II plane. My grandmother made it when she worked on airplanes for the Naval Air Station during the war effort. She carved NAS on one wing and 1944 on the other. She gave it to my Uncle when he was a kid. Later it sat in her shadowbox for years. 


This Bulova watch belonged to my grandmother. I remember that it was slightly too big on her and as she baked cakes it would spin around her wrist.


This Gruen watch belonged to my dear great-grandmother Helen. The Gruen watch company opened it's doors in 1847 and was known for it's beautiful watches. This watch was one of my favorites and was the first "rose gold" item I had ever seen.

This was the first cross I had ever received. 

It was a second grade gift and only about an inch in diameter.

This cross belonged to my grandmother. 

This medical Rx lapel pen belonged to my dad and he received it after graduating from college in the 1960s. I know he doesn't know I have it, in fact he probably has no idea where it is. Shhhhhhh!

I had completely forgotten about this watch. I got this watch when I was in high school in 19blah blah blah! There's Grand Cayman (I use to live on the East End of the island), Cayman Brac, and Little Cayman. I loved this watch!

My apologies for the blurriness. 

This is my grandmother's university school key pendant. On the back, in the middle of the blurriness are her initials (JPL) and B.S. for Bachelors of Science '48 for the year she graduated.

This key pendant is from the City of Jacksonville. It was either given to my grandmother or grandfather. They were always involved in the community. 

My mother remembers her 1960 school Glee Club pendant fondly. 

She wore it proudly when she studied with Fred Waring at the Delaware Water Gap.

Do you have any hidden treasures?

xoxoxo
Paula

Thanks to all of you who partied with us last week. Please link up and join us again. Remember, it's not a party without you!

Here Are This Week's Features:





Don't Forget to Add a Feature Button!
Ivy and Elephants


We are partying with these fine folks:

25 comments:

Alexis @ Chemistry Cachet said...

Thank you for featuring my pink tea! Another hot day in Texas, so I may be whipping that up later :) Thanks for hosting your party each week. Have a wonderful day!

Alexis @ www.chemistrycachet.com

Ann@A Sentimental Life said...

Oh I loved that you shared such sweet treasures with us. The story of you Grandmother and her watch touched my heart. And how cool is that airplane and the story behind it. Thanks again for sharing.

Jemma@athomewithjemma said...

Thank you for the party!
Hugs,
Jemma

Pam Richardson said...

Thank you so much for featuring my Simple + Southern Sunday post! I always look forward to your party! Have a wonder-filled weekend!

Blessings,
Pam (www.everydayliving.me)

Salmagundi said...

What wonderful treasures -- but the real treasures are your family's accomplishments behind those tokens!! Sally

Gail @Purple Hues and Me said...

What lovely sentimental mementos you have to share with us! I can understand why your mom wanted you to keep the pouch in a safe place. Too often such treasures are lost! Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week and holiday!

Unknown said...

First time to party with you! I love your sentimental treasures and the stories behind them. I too value those things left behind by our ancestors. I do have one to share as you will see on the sketch post. Thank you for hosting this party!

Meg said...

Thank you for featuring my post, it's such a thrill to be part of your beautiful blog xx

Judy at GoldCountryCottage said...

Hi Paula. I'm glad you were late. I was out of town yesterday and completely forgot until now. What beautiful treasures to find and enjoy..Happy Thursday..Judy

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces said...

OH those truly are little treasures, Paula...thank you for sharing them and the memories they evoke for you! Thanks for hosting the party, too!

White Lace and Promises said...

Those are great hidden treasures! The best part is the story behind them. I love the plane. That is certainly a keepsake. I made the mistake of giving some of my treasures to my younger niece and nephew. They didn't keep them and now I have little to give to my grands. My mama had a watch like that. I think her watch was an Elgin. I do have a diaper pin that has my name on it. Really, my middle name. I love the other one. What a fun post! Not to mention those dresser mirrors. Love, love, love!

Jill Harrison said...

Wonderful memories tied up in your box. I have memories from my parents and grandparents too. Such wonderful treasures.

Mimi said...

Hi Paula. What beautiful mementoes and I loved that you shared their history with us. Thanks for hosting this week. Love, Mimi xxx

La Vie Quotidienne said...

What a treasure trove! It is so nice that you have all of these wonderful items to draw lovely memories of.

Tante Mali said...

Family treasures!!! Sooooo wonderful! Every single peace is telling a hundrets of storries. That's great.
Happy for you!
All my best
Elisabeth

Carol @ The Red Painted Cottage said...

I LOVE family treasures and heirlooms because they're all the keys to our past. Thank you for sharing this story, Paula.

Poppy said...

Hi Paula,

I love the memory you have of your grandmother's wrist watch, and I'm sure it conjures up the sweetest aromas of her homemade cakes! Thanks for the lovely party and hope you have a wonderful labour day weekend!

Poppy

My thrift store addiction said...

Thanks so much for the party! Love your family treasures!

Row homes and Cobblestones said...

A beautiful share, I too have a box of vintage things, gathered and given I have from time to time perhaps a bit nostalgic taken out holding in my hands and recalling memories. I often think how precious it is to have such pieces to trigger emotions and fill our hearts with stories of the past because of precious recalled memories.

Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes said...

Those are indeed treasures! You are lucky to have so many! I had to laugh - I'm back to crazy, too!

Burlap Luxe said...

You bringing out that keepsake hidden treasure bag when your mom visited was great! It gave you that moment to post its sweet memories. I have to tell you I think all our grandmas had a watch the spun on a tiny wrist as yours did to your grandma, of course baking cakes and that homemade froaring were a given with family visits.
As for the plane, it's my most favorite treasure of your tucked in the bag, what little boy wouldn't play with a war plane? It's the sweetest thing in that bag, next to your favorite watch, mine was an Alice in Wonderland watch, a first watch and from Disneyland California, I wore it all the time, you could hardly see be young that scratched up lens with wear and major tear to it.

Your home is filled with treasures. And the memories that go along with them as well.

Beautiful weekend to you and yours.

Xx
Dore

Alessandra said...

Thank you very much for sharing these amazing and precious treasures. LOve reading about your sweet memories.
Hugs
Alessandra

Decor To Adore said...

What an amazing treasure Paula. I just finished a class on Women's History and a great textbook was "America's Women: 400 Years of Dolls, Drudges, Helpmates, and Heroines." WWII was such a turning point for all women and this book covered it indepthly.
Have a happy Labor Day and a wonderful week!

Teresa said...

So much more in this post than the hidden treasures. It's the History of your Life that mingles with the History, Costumes and Traditions of the Country.
It's a true honor to be Guardian of such items and they couldn't be in better hands and looked through more loving and gentle eyes.
Do keep them hidden inside the pride and honor of coming from so outstanding Citizens of the world.
Yours,
Teresa

French pretties said...

Thanks for hosting! Monika

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Ivy and Elephants
Gratitude is the Memory of the Heart ~ French Proverb ~ We are so grateful that you stopped by ~ Please visit again soon! ~ Much Love, Patricia and Paula